Make sure you have read the first part of this tutorial before you read this article.
On the second part of our tutorial, we’ll talk about the Content of your blog and SEO. Remember:”Content is King and distribution is Queen”. At the end of this tutorial, you’ll have learned everything you need to know about creating a website,writing good content and SEO (Search Engineering Optimization).
Google and other Search Engines like to see unique content. That means that it is very important to write your own content, with your own words. In order for content to be unique, it musn’t be found on any other indexed websites. Keep in mind that for Search Engines and your visitors “Content is King!” As an advice, try to write quality content, if you’re writing a review of a product/service, than make sure you know all there is to know about it before making a review. I would recommend writing 300-500 words per article. For those who consider that they are unable to create quality content, there are plenty of websites where you can buy unique articles for specific niches or hire your own writer, one of them being iwriter.com. They offer great quality articles that will improve your SEO and for cheap prices. If you do not have the time or inspiration to write your own unique content, then iwriter.com is probably what you’re looking for. Also, there are some tools called Content Spinners that can allow you to copy an articles and modify it to a new, unique and mostly understandable content, though I do not recommend using them.
If you are not going to write unique content, then you can just copy-paste articles from similar niche websites, or use a plugin like WP-o-matic that will automatically pick content from the sites you want and put them in your articles. I thought of mentioning this methods for those who really can’t afford to write or buy unique content, but I highly recommend you not to use this methods, they are likely to have a negative impact upon your blog’s SEO and it’s not fair to the original creators of those articles. It’s best to stick to creating your own content.
Backlinks, also called inbound or incoming link are links pointing to your website coming from another website. Different Search Engines prefer different types of backlinks, but in our tutorial we’re going to try to rank best for google. That does not mean at all that your website will rank bad in other Search Engines. So, all you have to do for SEO is continuosly building backlinks. Keep in mind that different backlinks have different quality, depending on the website they’re coming from, but every backlink you can get is worth it. When building your backlink, use your keywords found in the title of your blog/article as your anchor text. For example, a good anchor for this article would be SEO, so in html it would look like this <a href=”articleURL”>SEO</a>. Getting quality and well anchored backlinks will increase your PR (Page Rank), which is obviously determined by the number and quality of your backlinks.
If you want to find a website’s Page Rank, here’s a PR Checker. I’m sure you’ll find it very useful.
Tips on building backlinks:
- Blog Commenting – You can obtain impressive results just from commenting on High Page Rank. All you have to do is signing with your desired name (which will be your backlink anchor) when posting comments. You can easily search on google for “high PR blogs”. I do not recommend spamming other blogs, you should only post useful comments or answers. Avoid posting comments like: “Ok!”, “Great”, “Thanks”.
- Link Exchange – This is probably the best method after your website has a decent PR. You can exchange link with similar blogs from same niche that have a good PR too. They will put your anchor text on a “Partners” page on their website and vice-versa, it could be in an article or under a “Partners” page or tab. This is one of the most common SEO methods and it provides great results.
- Guest Blogging – You can offer yourself to write an article for another blog on the same niche. What you can get in return is that you can put 2-3 anchor texts in your article and increase your website’s SEO.
- Forum Profiles – All you have to do is to sign-up in forums, the Higher the PR of the blog, the better. When creating you account, just put your website with the desired keywords in the signature section of your account and then start replying some posts on the forum.
- Web Directories – There are more than plenty web directories where you can submit your website and it will boost your SEO. I’d recommend using free listings, it’s usually good enough if done on many web directories.
- Article Directories – A free and effective SEO method I recommend is writing good and unique articles containing some anchor texts to your site and then submiting them to article directories.
- Buying Links/Posts – You can ask other bloggers on same niche to put an anchor text for you on their blog or even write a whole article about your website in exchange for money. Still, I do not recommend using this method. It’s considered against the ToS of most search engines and your website will most likely get penalized for doing so. I’d recommend using only natural ways of backlinking.
- Social Media – You can submit your website to many free Social Media Website like Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc.
For some of the methods above, there are tools that can be used for SEO, but they usally bring tons of spammy backlinks which could have the opposite of the desired effect. I will not go furthermore into this because it’s not a method that I’d recommend. Don’t try to cheat, avoid getting greedy, only create quality and good backlinks, avoid software or solutions that promise you great results in Search Engines ranking. Rember: Quality > Quantity
Don’t forget to complete this tutorial by checking out the third and last part of this tutorial Complete guide to starting a Website – part 3/3 – Monetization and Tracking.